We welcome referrals from faculty and staff.
When you notice that a student has trouble succeeding in your class, or think they can benefit from additional academic support, you may refer them to work with a Tutor or an Academic Coach. When making referrals, please keep in mind:
- Students need to be prepared so that they are not resistant to tutoring/coaching, scared of the process, or think it is punitive in nature.
- Explain to the student why you are making the referral
- Give them specific points that you would like them to address with a tutor/coach
- Be mindful of the extra time the student will be spending working on your class
- Consider giving the student some sort of incentive to encourage the learning process (extension on an assignment, extra credit, an extra chance to revise a paper or retake a test)
- We recommend that student be referred for no more than 3 sessions to prevent straining the student
- Follow up with the student beyond seeing completion of the sessions
- Ask the student whether the process has helped
- Ask whether they believe they gained something valuable from the experience
To refer a student to our services, please complete the below form. A member of our staff will reach out to coordinate with you and your student within 2 business days of form submission: